HELB Loan Application Form 2017/2018 First Time Undergraduate Pdf
The Higher Education Loans Board (HELB) invites applications for the 2017-2018 Admissions. First Time Undergraduate Loans are open for application. Download application form by logging in Helb student portal. Students admitted into Government of Kenya-Sponsored or Self-Sponsored Programs in Public or Private Universities that are recognized by the Commission for University Education [CUE] should apply.
Helb Loan Form Application Process First Time Undergraduate
- Which HELB Loan Application is open?
First Time Undergraduate Loan is open. The closing date for the online loan application is 31st August, 2017.
- Who is eligible?
- Government of Kenya-Sponsored Undergraduate Students placed by Kenya Universities & Colleges Central Placement Service and admitted by the universities.
- Direct Entry Undergraduate Self-Sponsored Students.
- How do you apply?
- Visit www.helb.co.ke to register.
- Ensure to read and duly complete the HELB Financial Literacy literature.
- Log in, select and fill in the 2017-2018 First Time undergraduate Loan Application Form from the HELB website.
- Print two copies of the duly filled Loan Application Form.
- Have the form appropriately filled, signed and stamped by the relevant authorities and guarantors.
- Sign the form and attach all the necessary documents as indicated in the checklist appearing on the last page of the Loan Application Form.
- Present one copy of the duly completed Loan Application Form and all the attached supporting documents at any of the following:
Select Huduma Centres: Nairobi, Kakamega, Eldoret, Nakuru, Mombasa, Kisumu, Nyeri, Embu, Machakos, Kisii, Bungoma, Turkana, Meru, Kitui, Kericho, Nandi [Kapsabet], Thika, Garissa, Migori, Chuka and Kitale for free and secure delivery to HELB Head Office.
HELB Student Centre on Mezzanine One [M1], Anniversary Towers, University Way, Nairobi.
- Retain one copy of the duly filled loan application form.
- Remember: The HELB Loan Application process is free. Do not pay anyone to process your HELB Loan.
- I don’t have an ID card, can I apply for a HELB loan?
Unfortunately this is not possible at the moment. The national ID is proof of attainment of majority age. The HELB Loan Application form is a contract and legally we are not in a position to enter into a contract with a minor.
5 Is it compulsory to apply for a HELB loan?
No. You should apply for HELB loan only if you are in need of the funds.
- What is the applicable interest rate and when does it start to accrue?
The interest is currently 4% per annum for direct entry students and 12% for all salaried applicants. The interest will start to accrue immediately after the first disbursement.
- Am I eligible for a loan in 2nd year if I did not apply in 1st year?
Yes you are. However one will be required to apply as a first time applicant during the first time applications window.
- What if I was awarded a loan but it is not enough, can I request for additional funds?
Yes, if you have a genuine need for additional funds, you can appeal amounts awarded to you by completing the appeal form.
- If I discontinue my education, do I have to pay amount awarded to me even if I didn’t complete my education?
Once you are awarded a HELB loan, you will be required to fully repay the amount in accordance with the terms & conditions as well as the interest accrued thereafter and penalties incurred [if any].
- I have a sibling who didn’t qualify for HELB loan. Can I share the amount I was awarded with him/her then we share repayment?
Tuition is disbursed directly to the loan applicant’s learning institution. However, any willing individual can help you repay your HELB Loan.
- What if I can’t remember my password for the HELB Online Portal?
Use the “forgot password” option available on the portal to recover your account
- What if I can’t see the HELB portal activation link on my email? Please check your junk or spam emails
- Why is my application form defective?
If any or all of the following are missing then the application is defective:
- MISSING SIGNATURES AND STAMPS: i.e. applicants’ signature, parents/guardian, priest, Chief or Assistant chief, Commissioner of Oaths or Magistrate and bank. Please note that signatures and stamping is A MUST.
- MISSING DOCUMENTS: i.e. if any of the documents on the checklist haven’t been attached then the form will be termed defective, KCSE result slip, Admission letter, copy of the ATM, if orphaned, copy/copies of parent/s death certificate, if sponsored in High school, a confirmation letter from the school or sponsor and a colored passport size photo which is to be attached to the form before submission.
- SCANNED COPIES: the forms to be submitted should be the original copies and not scanned copies, if one submits the scanned copy then it is termed defective since it’s not the original.
- 2nd & SUBSEQUENT LOAN APPLICATION FORMS: All the subsequent application forms MUST be signed and stamped by the Dean of students.
- Where do I get a bank account number?
Visit your nearest bank branch and open a bank account. Indicate this bank account in your application form and attach a copy of the Debit [ATM] card as you submit your application form.