How to Write a CV for Job Application
If you are thinking of earning through employment then is high time you need to know how to present your application in form of a Curriculum Vitae, CV. this article explains how your CV would look like.
Sample Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Name: Thomas Smith
- P.O Box 123, 00100 Nairobi
- Email: thomassmith@yahoo.XX.XX
- Tel: 07XX XXX XXX
- Date of Birth: XX/XX/19XX
- Marital Status: Single
In this section leave out details like ID number, religion, Languages (unless it is requested in the job advert)
Difference Between Biodata Resume and Curriculum Vitae >>
Education & Professional Qualifications
List your qualifications here. If you are pursuing a course and you are not yet done, you can include it with the line…Pursuing an MBA University of Nairobi. The employer knows what a B.com Finance course entails. There is no need to break it down. This is also not the section to include all those trainings you’ve gone through. Put it under a separate header as outlined below. Ideally, put those professional qualifications, diplomas, degrees and high school education, here.
This summarizes your skills, knowledge and experience.
An administrative support professional with over five years office management experience. I am adept at working in fast-paced environments that demand strong organizational and office management skills. Am committed to exceptional customer service and driven by challenges, with ability to independently plan and manage diverse customer relationships. More so, I am accustomed to fast-paced, high-pressured positions, demonstrated ability to set priorities deliver qualitative output, prioritize multiple tasks, meet deadlines, and provide quality service.
Career objective or profile should be specific to your career.
CV Professional Strengths and Skills
(Look at any job advert and you will find these listed after education requirements. Try to match what the employer is looking for but don’t duplicate. Again, we have listed skills for an admin person.)
- Possess seven years of professional experience as Executive Assistant
- Possess excellent organization and management skills
- Goal oriented and ability to handle multiple tasks
- Proven track record in customer service like managing front desk operations, processing sales order and communicating reliable information to customers
- Ability to resolve complex departmental problems
- Proficient in basic operating systems like Microsoft Word Press, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook and the Internet
- Posses excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Possess extensive administrative and customer service skills
- Ability to maintain good relationship with customers
- When it comes to experience list from the most recent to your earliest job
- Include work achievements. Achievements Example:
Implemented a more effective system for the management of meetings
- Even if you won’t specific months, list the year you worked
- When you have worked in more than ten jobs/companies, the important thing is to break down your duties in the three most recent. You don’t have to expound on every job that you’ve had.
Training and seminar Section in Your CV: attended should be listed here
Professional Membership and Associations: feature here
Hobbies & Interests
In this section only indicate character building/business related hobbies. Listing things like,making friends and watching movies plus socializing doesn’t look professional.
Referees When Writing a CV
Provide at least three referees. Two from your previous and / or current work place; preferable the HR or immediate boss, if that is not possible a client or customers you serve. On the other hand, if you have just left campus a lecturer may vouch for you. Third one is usually personal; someone that has known you for a long period of time that can vouch for your character and will be able to recommend you for the job. For effective referees, put only those people who know you well and let them know to expect a call from recruiters about you. Do not list your relatives or members of your family.