Nairobi Hospital School of Nursing Courses Offered and Application Form
The Nairobi hospital school of nursing invites applications for 2018 admissions. Download online application form for Degree, Diploma and certificate Courses. Apply for March and September Intakes.Bachelor of Science in Nursing
The School offers a Bachelor of Science in Nursing in collaboration with the University of Eastern Africa, Baraton. The program started in April 2008 and is intended to benefit holders of Diploma in Nursing. It is designed to last 3-4 years on a part time basis with classes being held on Thursdays and Fridays only.
Admission Requirements for the Bachelor of Science (Nursing)
- Kenya Registered Nurse/Midwife
- Two years working experience
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education
- Professional Certificate
- Nursing Council LicenseDuration: Three and a Half to Four Years
This is a 3 year Kenya Registered Nursing (KRN) program and is approved by the Nursing Council of Kenya. The Programme trains first level hospital based Nurses and prepares them to work efficiently in an acute health care setting. The curriculum which is structured to include Nursing, Biological, Behavioral and Social Sciences courses provides a sound foundation for individual nurses to develop in the areas of career choice.
These areas include: Midwifery, Mental health Nursing /Psychiatry, Pediatrics, Critical Care Nursing /Intensive Care Nursing, Peri – Operative Nursing /Theatre and to embark on degree programs. The Kenya Registered Nursing program is regionally and internationally recognized and the graduates have been registered in countries like Britain, USA, and Australia.
Admission Requirements:for the Basic Programme
KCSE or Equivalent with mean grade C+ (plus) and above
Biology C (Plain)
English C (Plain)
Any other science subject C (Plain)
Applicants with foreign certificates should have them verified by the Kenya National Examination Council
Post Basic Programs
The Cicely McDonnell School of Nursing offers several post basic courses that aim at providing participants with opportunities for continuing professional development.
1. Higher Diploma in Peri – operative Nursing/Theatre (1 Year Course)
2. Higher Diploma in Critical Care/Intensive Care Nursing (1 Year Course)
3. ECHN Upgrading Program (2 Years distance /electronic learning program)
4. Higher Diploma in Paediatric Nursing
Registered practicing nurse with a valid practice license
One year Nursing Experience
One-year experience in the related field is an added advantage.
Short Post-Basic Courses
- Research Methodology 3 Months
- Counselling 6 Weeks
- Teaching and Assessing & Mentorship 5 Weeks
- Phlebotomy 3 Weeks
- Clinical Nursing – Medical/Surgical 3 Weeks
- HIV and AIDS Counselling Course 2 Weeks
- Diabetes Course 1 Week
- Nursing Process 1 Week
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) 4 Days
- Pain Management 3 Days
- Basic Life Support 3 Days
- Palliative Nursing 3 Days
- Paediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) 4 Days
- Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) 4 Days
Application for Admission into Nursing Training
Please complete this form in BLOCK LETTERS and return to: The Principal, The Nairobi HospitalCicely McDonell School of Nursing, P.O Box 30026 – 00100, NAIROBI. Attach Application Fee (nonrefundable) in form of Bankers Cheque (Kshs.1,300/=) Payable to ‘THE NAIROBI HOSPITAL’ or Pay cash at The Nairobi Hospital – Admissions Centre, Cashiers counter.
Nursing/Midwifery Course in Detail
Attach copies of the following:
- KCSE/KCE Certificate(s) or equivalent or result slip.
- School leaving certificate.
For Critical Care Nursing, Accident and Emergency and Midwifery include the following:
- Registration certificate from relevant regulatory body e.g. Nursing Council of Kenya
- registration certificate
- Practicing license
- Curriculum vitae
Download Application form for Admission into Nursing Training here >>
Formal application is to be made to:
The Director of Nursing Education,
Cicely McDonell School of Nursing
The Nairobi Hospital
P.O. Box 30026 – 00100
For Basic Programmes, all application letters should include copies of the applicants’ KCSE Certificate/Result Slip and should reach us by 31st May of each year. The course begins in March and September of the following year. This should be accompanied by a KShs. 1,000 application fee by money order or banker’s cheque payable to The Nairobi Hospital.
For Post Basic courses and Bachelor of Science in Nursing, you require a higher diploma in Perioperative Nursing, Critical Care Nursing or Paediatrics Nursing